Some of the ways you can stage your home include:
- Arrange your furniture in the most attractive way possible. This means taking out the oversized, bulky furniture and making sure you don’t have too much furniture cluttering the room.
- Ensure that fragrant scents are wafting through the area. Freshly baked cookies or newly brewed coffee are two comforting examples. Avoid cooking fish, broccoli or other foods with strong odors.
- Put fresh towels in the bathroom.
- Eliminate or reduce the number of knick-knacks. Too many will look cluttered and they aren’t meaningful to the buyer.
- Make sure there is plenty of light. Turn on lights and keep drapes and blinds open.
- Make sure the room temperature is comfortable.
- Place vases of fresh flowers throughout the house.
- Have soft music playing in the background.
Try to think like a buyer.
After everything is ready, invite a friend or neighbor to look at the house with a fresh pair of eyes. You might have missed something obvious. Also, as you stage your house, try to think like a buyer. Get inside their head and see your house through their eyes, not through your own, which have seen years of living in the house.